Monday, July 6, 2015

4th of July in St. Louis

We kicked off July by spending a long weekend in St. Louis with my dad and step mom. We've kinda created a new tradition over the past few years of taking a mini-vacay together some place within fairly easy driving distance. And they're always a blast.

Before we even made it out of town Wednesday, B displayed a little cousinly empathy when his cousin O was terrified of the little chipmunk we were re-locating from our back yard. Despite him being in a cage, she was still pretty frightened. So B offered to hold her hand to keep her safe. Needless to say, my heart melted. There is a little chivalry yet in that sweet, terrible baby dinosaur of mine.


Our first evening there it was a unanimous vote to eat at Joe's Crab Shack. Mr. B immediately decided on the kids' crab pot and, truth be told, if I had someone to shell all of my crab for me, I might have chosen it too!






The next day we took the train into the heart of the museum. To be honest, we likely could have just rode the train for hours and had perfectly happy kids. But we decided to let them have some lunch and excitement, too.

We came across some live music and a bunch of food trucks as we made the trek to City Museum and we all were happy with that fine dining cuisine. J and the kids boogied like crazy to the music. I have some great photos of that, but my camera battery died and I currently cannot find my charger in order to upload those. Whoops. Just don't tell J, I'm trying desperately to convince him that I still have my brain, ha. I'll offer ice cream for a good camera charger hunt here in a little bit.

The City Museum might have been the single most coolest place I've ever been. I wish we had something remotely similar around here. Think human gerbil maze. And then throw and overzealous, helicoptering J into the mix who was too big to fit through most of the tunnels. Oh, good times! Plus huge giant slides, a Ferris wheel on top of the building. Dad even got conned into going down one of the giant slides and got a good bump on the top of his head for it. That's true Grandpa love right there.


 Because he's a big kid at heart!
 




B was completely tuckered out by the end of the day. Tula for the win!
 
 
Somehow I don't have any photos from the inside giant maze and tunnel part. B was pooped out by the end of the day and completely slept through dinner. He's really got a thing for sleeping in pizza joints, I'm learning. But hey - I don't judge. One less kid to occupy.
 
 
The next day we headed to the St. Louis zoo. It was huge and a lot of fun. We didn't even make it through the whole thing.
 




 He's such a pro!
 

 We ran into some really great friends from home. It was a pleasant surprise!
 

I'm fairly certain H would have stayed with the guinea pigs all day.
 
 

 Or the goats. H really loved the goats.
 


 I'll eat you up, I love you so!
 


 B and O before the 4D dinosaur movie.
 
 Hitching a ride back to the car because eating your kettle corn while walking can be tricky!
 

And this is how one small, precious boy can take up an entire bed!
 
We spent the 4th of July at Grant's Farm, which was really cool. Other than when the goat started eating my dress. No joke. I apologize to all the poor bystanders who saw more than they were hoping for that day. B got a bite taken out of his clothes, too. Hungry goats!
 







 
 
And we finished the day off at a nice restaurant a bit too fancy for us to be at, but we made it work.




No fireworks this year. I figure eventually we will in fact get to see them some day. But right now they just cannot stay awake that late and good sleep is just more important than watching some fireworks. Because I will pay for bad sleep. For days. Ha.
 
We had such a fantastic time. As always, we are glad to be home though. And are eagerly anticipating our next few trips that are going to make the rest of summer and then autumn fly by and BAM! The next thing we will know, we'll be in the heart of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment