Monday, July 29, 2013

A place of Zen

I've always been a bit restless. This need to just go has always been so strong.

I need to go new places. See new things.

After about a month at home I need to do something.

Until now.

It's strange. I've never understood when people said they liked staying home. I mean, I'm a homebody and thus I like to be home, but if I have the opportunity to travel somewhere, I'm on it hook and nails. There is no stopping me once I get the bug.

So when people would have the opportunity to go places and said no, I was always thinking, "Wtf? How can you not go?"

Until now.

I don't know what happened. What changed.

Maybe that travel bug just died.

I don't know.

But I find J suggesting we travel somewhere and me saying, "no."

And not because travelling is "too hard" (which I hear a lot from people with kids. I don't really find it any more difficult to travel with kids than without, just different).

Simply because I don't want to.

And my lack of enthusiasm is not because something is wrong by any means.

I guess it's because everything is so right.

I once read something that said you should create a life you don't need a vacation from. I thought that was hilarious.

But I get it now.

Because I am so content with my life.

Because I follow behind my daughter on her trike and give my son "under dogs" until he's squealing so loudly in delight that his joy is contagious to other people. Because I get to run in the sprinkler with my clothes on alongside the two greatest little people I know. Because I get to bake cookies and if they turn out blah I can claim it was because my helpers didn't quite get everything into the bowl. Because I get to cuddle with sweet little babes until they fall into slumber land each night and then I get to cuddle with the only man I'll ever love; a man who treats me like royalty. Because I get just as wet during bath time without even being in the bath. Because sharing a pretzel and coffee from Starbucks with H and B makes them giddy. Because I have the privilege of being with my children every minute of the day and they are nothing but pure joy. And they want to spend all of those minutes with me, too!

I'm so blissfully happy and content that those trips and vacations that I once fantasized about seem almost silly now. Adventures that will continue because my babes love sand and water and going new places, but adventures that I can also easily say no to without batting an eye.

I'm at such a great place. My family is at such a great place.

You know, that sickeningly happy place that is all sunshine and roses and the little hiccups just don't matter.

I guess you could call it a place of Zen - if you're into that kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment