Thursday, January 23, 2014

Yellow, yellow, yellow.

I won't lie. I do not engage my kids in planned out, school-like activities on a daily basis. Or even on a weekly basis.

But on the occasion that I do, you can bet your bottom that all the magic happens before 9am and without pants.

Okay, H typically has pants. She's a lady.

But I do try. To an extent.

Sometimes.

Really, they learn so much through playing that I don't do that much.

But then sometimes I feel like I need to do something just to get them to chill out. So I throw out a bunch of stuff and see if they are interested.

Some days they are.

Other days. Not so much.

Today they were.

So I tossed some yellow puff balls into a dish. Some yellow (or as H corrected me - "gold") sequins into another dish. Another got some yellow fabric flowers, and the last was filled yellow puff stickers. I whipped up some yellow shaving cream paint and gave them a small cup of glue with paint brushes. An assortment of yellow crayons and few yellow piper cleaners.

I taped two pieces of paper down to their craft table and told them they could do whatever they wanted. They immediately went to work.
 
 
And their end result was this awesomeness.
 
Yes, I made B hole that picture right there. Remember...no pants... 
 
But they were on a roll and wanted to do something different, but more. So I printed off this "yellow" sheet for them and put some yellow finger paint on a plate. They squeeze 1/4 a lemon into each of their finger paints. Because you know, lemons are yellow and they smell good. And I bought a whole bag and dont' know what to do with them now...
 
The kids thought it was a great project!

 
 

 But then they still wanted to do something else.

It was hitting 8:45a.m. and my morning rush was wearing out. But I pushed on.

And pulled out the gardening stuff.

Yep, it's roughly -123454356 degrees out, but we decided to plant flowers inside.

Why not?

So we planted yellow sunflowers into two tiny pots - one for each kid.

Have you caught on that we were having a yellow theme today?

After the seeds were planted each kid wrote their name on their pot.

Okay, H actually wrote her name. B very meticulously wrote...something.

 You can't really tell, but this really is H's name. It wraps around the whole pot.
 
 B's name. Obviously.

And now my awesomeness is shot. I do not know how those amazing, crafty, put together mommas come up with their own crafty things to do every day, and actually spend the whole day doing planned stuff. And then you know, they blog about it so I can drool over it, pin it, tell myself we'll spend a day like that, and then never actually do that. Because that's just too hard. And my kids don't have that kind of focus.

Okay, okay. B doesn't have that kind of focus.

It's fun for like 45 minutes. But that's our limit.

So if the snow and ridiculous weather could go away so we can live at the park again, that'd be super awesome. Until then, thank God for the library and Children's Museum. Because this put-together stuff is for the bees.
 
Oh, and if you're wondering. B is certain we covered "blue, red, and green" today. So I think it's safe to say he knows nothing about the color yellow. Ha.






No comments:

Post a Comment