Monday, July 21, 2014

Kansas City or Bust!

About a month ago my dad asked me if we'd like to join him and my step-mom T in Kansas City for a mini-vacation.

I agreed, because time spent with family or friends is always time well spent.

Though truthfully, I was skeptical. I mean, Kansas City? What in the heck is there to do in Kansas City?

But I'm eating those words, that's for sure! We had an absolute blast, and I would definitely recommend Kansas City to anyone and everyone as a great kid vacation spot. Seriously.

We got into Kansas City in the early afternoon, a few hours before my parents. We decided to go downtown and grab some lunch at the Crowne Center and see what we could do to entertain our selves. There was plenty!

The mall had a whole free kid section set up that was hands-on, teaching about the environment and recycling, etc. We spent a lot of time playing in there and the kids had a grand time.




 
 
Then we ventured to a little chocolate shop where we each chose some chocolate. The kids chose smiley faced chocolate lollipops. They never cease to surprise me. They oohed and ahhed over the dinosaur and train and princess crown chocolate lollipops, but then both ultimately chose the smiley face. Ha.
 


There was a mega Crayola store there that we went inside and played. They had different coloring stations and the kids had fun being artsy. I found these questionable crayons...

 
 
And then we finally ventured to our hotel where we met up with Dad and T. They had brought H the Josefina doll she'd saved her money up for, and H was in 7th Heaven bliss.
 


Dad and H went swimming while J and I chilled out with B who was sleeping. Then we headed out for some delicious seafood for dinner! Yummy!!






The next morning we had breakfast with my dad's great-aunt. So my great-great aunt. Which means it was the kids' great-great-great aunt. Wowzers.




 
Afterwards, we headed back to her house for a bit where the kiddos played with puppies and she and Dad discussed geneology stuff.




Then it was to the zoo! And let me tell you, Kansas City may very well have the very best zoo  I've ever been to! It was just freaking amazing and we all really enjoyed ourselves. I'd seriously go back just for the zoo. Totally worth it!


H insisted that they all sit on the same seat. So Momma was alone...
 
 Skyline was a hit!
 

H looooved the meerkats!





 J dropped the map, so he jumped the fence.
 
Tsk, tsk. 

















We ate dinner at T-Rex that evening, which the kids found to be amazing. I mean, who wouldn't want to eat with dinosaurs!?









Saturday, we headed to the Schlitterbahn Waterpark. It was the first real waterpark the kids had ever been to, and a great choice at that! They could literally do every single thing there, with the exception of the Veruckt (world's tallest water slide). So they got to go down all the big water slides, and cruise down the wavy river and raging river, and they loved every bit of it!



I had been slightly apprehensive about B on the waterslides, since he's my wild card when it comes to water. When we first pushed off to go down we kind of got stuck right where the water is pushing down, so he was literally being flooded in his tube seat which I thought for sure would make him freak out. But when we finally reached the bottom he jumped out and squealed, "Let's do it again! That was fun!" Best thing ever.

That evening we ventured over to a little winery I'd found when searching things to do. It was a bit out of the way, but had excellent wine, as well as they served brick oven pizza that was PHENOMENAL. Seriously. We can just pretend I didn't eat 6 slices of pizza. And the only reason it wasn't 8 was because B slept through the whole thing in Grandpa S's arms, so I thought I should save him some food for when he woke up.







As we were getting ready to depart the vineyard, H discovered grapes growing and filled a cup up full of them. And they were absolutely delicious!




Needless to say, Sunday morning came much too soon! The kids slept with my parents in their hotel room each night, which meant J and I got to relish in HGTV and sleep without tiny people kicking us. But I won't lie, I wasn't sad when H crawled into bed with me last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment