Tuesday, October 28, 2014

No, David!

Last week while we were at Barnes and Noble B picked up the book titled "No, David!" and asked me to read it to him.

I love reading to both of my children, but unlike H, B wasn't into being read to until he was well over two, so I sort of relish that precious time with him because I once worried he wouldn't enjoy being read to or reading. Ever.

If you have small children, or have ever simply browsed the children's section of a book store or library you've probably come across the book "No, David!" It's actually won some awards or something.

Anyway, as soon as we began reading it, my heart kind of sank. It is, as you can imagine, a whole book where David is being told "no." For everything. He's even put in the corner and sent away. It's really sad. Little David even cries. It end with "Yes, David, Mommy loves you" or something like that.

Well, with how sad the whole book is, I'm not sure how poor David is supposed to know his momma loves him. She's always saying no and scolding him.

I really, really worried B was going to find this book to be great because of the mischievous little boy.

So I was really surprised when after the second page he looked up at me with those big brown eyes and said, "This is so sad. Why David's momma not nice?"

I nodded, and instead of getting on my soapbox with my 3 year old, I said, "What's the problem with what is going on?"

B would explain the situation to me on each page from David's perspective, and then tell me what David's momma did that was not nice. And I'd ask him how he thought David's momma should have handled it.

Let me tell you, if ever you question how you parent your children, or wonder if they see you as a big meanie, read this book and have your kids reflect on it. It's very eye opening. Because I so very often think I'm too impatient or quick to frustrate or too strict with my kids. Yet little B sat here and told me just how each situation should be handled: gently, patiently, calmly, with kind words. And after each time he'd explain this to me he'd smile that melt-your-heart-smile at me and say, "Just like you, Momma. You're always nice. Even when you say you're so frustrated. Why doesn't David's mom love him like that?"

Trust me, I wanted to explain to him that David's mom probably truly did love him just as I loved B (this was an "autobiography" book of sorts of the author's), but story time began before I could get that far. Probably much to B's relief, ha.

It seems like any time I ever begin to have a glimmer of doubt about what I'm doing with these sweet babes, how I'm doing it, God snaps me out of it real quick with some good honest preschooler feedback.

I think I will have to keep "No, David!" in my pocket to bring out when I start wondering if I'm veering off track being the type of parent my kids deserve. Because if I ever read that book to them and they think the way David is being treated is acceptable, well, then I will know it's time to stop and shift focus.

Because I want there to be a lot more "yes" in our book. And I want the love to show on every page, not just the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment