Sunday, June 9, 2013

My kids are not trick ponies

I know that people sometimes just don't know what else to say, but it is ever so annoying when others, typically adults, feel compelled to "quiz" children.

I dislike when people say, "H, can you tell me the letters in the this word?" or "B, can you point to your nose?" Etc. Etc.

My kids are not trick ponies. They are not here for the purpose of performing. If they want to spell the word out for you or acknowledge where a body part is, fantastic. If you're just playing a game, okay, not a big deal so long as my babe wants to participate.

But so often it seems people are just interested in what they "know."

It's doesn't matter!

They know what they need to know. At their own pace. On their own agenda.

So I get it's cute to ask little B to sing his ABC's, or for H to sing them in Spanish, and if they want to, hey, it's fine.

But don't push it if they don't want to.

And chances are they know it. They're just not going to tell you because they know it isn't their job to perform.

Even if other people don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment