Thursday, June 5, 2014

One small splash for man, one giant swim for B

B swam the length of the YMCA pool today all by himself.

It's a monumental first.

He was in a life jacket, of course. But for B, this is huge.

B has never been a water baby. He likes showers and baths just fine, but the swimming pool? Meh. Only if you hold on tight and don't make him get all the way in.

On travel he was content never getting in the pool at all, but instead playing outside of it, scooping water out with measuring cups, while his sister swam all over on her own.

We've never pushed it. We've held him tight, coaxed him to get a little deeper, but never forced anything.

He'll get there when he gets there, and that's okay by me.

So you can only imagine my surprise when I went to pick up him and his sister from swimming with Grandpa at the Y and saw my sweet boy in the deep end, with a life jacket, kicking around all by himself.

It was huge.

My heart leaped into my throat.

I had no idea that something so trivial for so many people would make such an impression on me.

My baby was in the water. Comfortable and happy without being held onto.

He felt safe.

My baby kicked his little feet and propelled himself across the whole pool.

All by himself.

My baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment