Tuesday, September 2, 2014

H and B do school

It's crazy the changes as a person and a parent that you make for the good of your kids. Well, typically for the good anyway.

I said I'd never sleep with my kids, and yet now I couldn't imagine not snuggling with my teeth-grinding, sleep-talking 4.5 year old. And Lord knows that was never my intention.

I didn't want to put my kids in school. And I feel like the more resolved I became that I would never do it, the more determined they became to go.

And so here we are. Their first day of school.

I thought I'd cry.

I didn't.

I don't know what that says about me.

I guess it is hard to be upset when your kids are just so excited. They were bouncing off the walls this morning, ready to go at 7am.

School doesn't' start for them until 9am.

My little sister stopped by to wish them well on their first day of school. They were more focused on getting to school than on hanging out with Aunt B, so that tells you a lot. It typically isn't an easy feat separating them from Aunt B.


They both picked out their own outfits. In fact, I took them back to school shopping for a special first day of school outfit. H swindled me into buying her two because, you know, the weather here is so unpredictable - how were we to know if it'd be hot or cold? Very clever girl.

B chose a shirt with a bear and some squeaky cowboy boots - so very B of him - but then decided with a different get-up for today. Mostly, the hat made the outfit. When I sent J a pic (because he's gone for a few weeks) he was very proud of our cheeky boy.




You can hardly tell that it was raining in those photos! By the time it was pick-up time it was pouring. That was fun...

Anyway, they were eager little beavers for school. They wanted to pack their own snacks and I let them. H chose sliced cucumber, sunflower seeds and grapes. B opted for sliced cucumbers, raisins and grapes.

And we were off! A whole new adventure for this little clan.

(We ordered new backpacks and matching lunch boxes, but they haven't come in yet. Fortunately they were good troopers about having to wait for them!)

 
 
B insisted on being dropped off first. I hardly got a "bye" out of him and he was completely oblivious that I was in the room talking to one of his teachers for a solid 5 minutes. Yes, I'm totally going to be *that* mom, and I'm okay with that. These people are responsible for my kids for 3 hours! It's important.
 
I super, super love both of B's teachers. He has two males teachers, which I think is great for him. I think guys can typically handle kids being kids a little easier. 

 
 
And then we were off to Miss H's building. She was so excited she could hardly contain herself. It made it super hard for me to have as much anxiety about the situation as I'd anticipated.
 

 


And just like that, my babies started school.

I'm really, really glad we had the ability to do half day K, because I cannot even fathom all day right now. She was still in a great mood after school and full of her normal energy.

Of course, it's not without faults. I had to bite my tongue when reading the weekly newsletter of what they'd be doing. Learning the letters "Ii" and "Uu"..."but my kid can read all ready!" I wanted to say. But I didn't. Because it's school. And that's how school goes. It's not tailor-made for each kid, which really, I suppose is my biggest issues with it anyway.

But if H isn't complaining, I'm not complaining. We're still doing our own school stuff of her choosing at home, and if she's having fun there, that's really all that matters. It isn't forever.

They both talked non-stop about all the things they did and the new friends they made on the car ride home.

They both had a blast and are very eager to return. I'm not sure how B is going to handle it when we drop off his sister tomorrow and he has to come home with me! (He only goes T/Th).

Alas, I'm glad their first day was a good one. It's all I could have asked for.



No comments:

Post a Comment