Monday, August 6, 2012

I used to think people created picky eaters. Now I know better

I always thought picky eaters were, well, the product of their parents. They were picky because their parents let them be picky and supported it.

And with Miss H, it seemed to ring true. That girl will eat anything. From the time she began eating solid foods she ate anything and everything. Sushi, curry, chili, you name it. Nothing was too spicy, flavorful, or strange in texture (other than purees!). Now, she has never been a big eater, as in quantity, but she's always eaten anything.

Of course, now that she is getting older, she has preferences. She has no problem telling me she wants broccoli instead of potatoes, and I respect that. But she still likes potatoes. And will eat them if she's hungry.

But baby B. Oh, that boy has thrown me for a big one! He has ruined this theory.

We've fed him just as we did Miss H. He gets what we eat. Except he doesn't eat.

Sometimes he'll put food in his mouth, and 9 times out of 10  the food he will put in his mouth he just chews the food and then spits it out instead of actually swallowing it. WTF? I don't get it.

A lot of food he just flat out won't eat though.

I know he won't starve to death. But it's still weird.

The only foods he actually likes to eat are carbs. Bread and crackers (the goldfish variety is preferred). But those he is technically allergic/sensitive/whatever to. So they just make him sick. Go figure.

I take back everything I've ever said about picky kids only being picky because their parents won't feed them an assortment of foods. I realize that there are some kids who are picky because of that, but I realize now that most of them are just naturally picky.

And it's maddening sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment