Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Milk = Love around here

It’s no secret that I’ve been a bit burnt out on breastfeeding these past few weeks. It’s gotten to the point that I’ve been telling Miss H that my boobs hurt, so she cannot nurse for too long. This isn’t a lie, they really do hurt. She has a shotty toddler latch to say the least. 

But it seems she realized that I just needed some kind of upper to keep on trekking through this, and to do it happily, and not begrudgingly.

This evening at dinner, she sat in J’s seat since he’s gone, and put one of her stuffed puppies into her booster seat. Then she said to me, “Momma, my boobies hurt!” and grabbed her chest (because we may or may not have been eating in our underwear…) in case I didn’t fully grasp what she was saying.

“Why do your boobies hurt?” I asked.

“Because I’ve been nursing the puppy. All. Day. Long.” She uses her hands like a baby Italian.

Before this conversation went any further and it all got more clear, I all ready “got” it.

"Well, why do you nurse the puppy if it hurts your boobies?” (You’re loving that we say boobies around here, aren’t you?)

“Because I love him so much.”

I may have wanted to cry at this point. Instead, I was quiet while I gave baby B some more food on his tray before saying, “You know I love you, right?”

She nodded happily. “Yep. So much! That’s why I nurse your boobies!”

I nodded.

Without a doubt, ever toddler knows their momma loves them, whether or not they “nurse boobies”. But she reminded me of why I nurse my toddler. And I will keep on nursing her, hopefully with a better attitude now.

Because I love her.

So much.

No comments:

Post a Comment