Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Not everyone has options, that's why it is our job to fight for them

I got a LOT of great responses from my blog post last night. Responses both publicly and privately.

I had a few people whom I hold very dear and near, and whose opinions I deeply value, send me private messages that I would like to address openly. Obviously those people wish to remain anonymous, so no worries!

Three good friends of mine are very pro-public school. They expressed concern that I don't see the value of it or understand that for some people it is the only option.

Firstly, I do believe in public school. Deeply and strongly. I very much see the value of it. I wish we had amazing public schools in which every single child in America thrived. Where they grew as whole people and were able to follow their passions and participate in hands-on learning. Where they are treated kindly and respectfully and as an individual.

I want this for all kids. Not just mine.

But I'm also not willing to throw my kid into the system and hope it all works out when I'm fortunate enough to have the option not to do so.

But for those who have no other choice, I empathize. I'm willing to help and to rally for you to have better options. Such as the aforementioned charter school. Because charter schools are public schools. And they're an option.

Many kids do thrive in a traditional public school. Either because the learning system is ideal for their personality or because they have amazing parents who are helping and rallying for them. Who refuse to give up. And that's awesome.

But not all kids truly thrive in a traditional school setting. Public or otherwise. Not all kids are capable of learning that way.

And that's okay, too.

And not all kids have a great support system at home, whether because their parents simply don't realize they need to be more involved, don't have the ability to do so, or simply don't care.

But all children and families deserve options. Public, free options, at that. We owe it to our children. Not just the ones we birthed, but the children of our communities. The children who will be the adults some day, and who have the power to change the world. Who if we teach now that they deserve better, that they are worth more; will also see and teach that to their children. And in turn, things will get so much better. Our schools will get better. Our world will get better.

I don't believe in utopia. I don't think it exists. But I do believe in dystopia. And I do think that is where we are headed at a drastically alarming rate.

But we have the power to change it. If we don't accept "fine" for our kids. If we don't teach our kids that it's a hard and unfair world and they had better buck up and deal with it. We have the ability to teach our children to be more than cynics and pragmatics. We can teach them to be kind and caring, and to extend a helping hand to others. And no, the world probably won't transform over night. And yes, there will always be those people who don't share a beautiful and kind vision of the world, but it certainly doesn't hurt to try.

Another friend asked if I realized how truly fortunate I am, to have so much power and the ability to choose so much of my life. And my children's.

Yes, I'm aware.

I'm extremely fortunate. I'm in a very fortunate position.

I am fortunate that I have the ability to be home with my kids. There are many people - moms and dads - who would love to be home with their children every day, to be the primary example and role model, and cannot do so. I have friends who are both college educated and work full-time, and together they still live under the poverty line in the U.S.

On the other hand, I have plenty of friends who have no desire to be home with their children each day, even though they could afford to do so. And that's okay.

I'm fortunate because not only do I want to be home with my kids, I can. I have an amazing husband who works hard to allow for it.

I'm also in the fortunate position of location. I live in a phenomenal town. It's open, diverse, and very progressive.

A little boy wearing a tutu and sparkly shoes isn't given a second glance. Even if he doesn't have a sister. My children have no idea that marriage is traditionally between a man and a woman and that there are people who disagree with two people of the same sex loving each other. Love is just love to them.

It's normal for children to speak more than one language, and English not be the first one they learned. We are surrounded by a diverse mix of people, ethnicities and religions. And we manage to do more than just peacefully co-exist in this town - we happily live together. And that's amazing.

We may have shoddy public schools, but we do also have some stellar public schools. I've had friends move across town just so they'd be in the best school district. So they do exist. If the traditional school setting is what is best for your child.

We also have some great private schools. If you can afford them. And I'm fortunate that if it seemed to be our only option, we could make it work. Because we have given up a lot of other luxuries like cable TV and new cars and going out to eat regularly. We buy the bulk of our "stuff" used or second hand. And J and I pretty much never buy stuff for ourselves.

We have a pretty tight knit community. We're the people who come together to help a little boy we've never met get a new pair of glasses. We give $40 outgrown shoes to other kids without so much as an "I OWE YOU." We let mom's we've never seen face to face borrow slings for their tots. We are an amazing community of love of and helpfulness. And I do realize that this isn't the norm every where. So I realize how fortunate I am to be here. And to be a part of something so wonderful.

So trust me. I do see the need and the value of public schools. I do fully realize that for many people, there are no other options. And I know how fortunate I am to have options.

And even if I choose not to utilize my options here, it doesn't mean I won't stop rallying for them to exist for the good of everyone.

Because everyone deserves to have a choice. A public, free choice. The same choices I have. The same support system and the same hope for a better system for our kids.

Because all of our kids deserve better. We owe it to them.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Ki! I'm Heather and I just have a question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete