Wednesday, December 4, 2013

I don't understand choosing z over x.

I like to think I'm open minded. Truthfully, I know it doesn't work out that way. There are things I will never even remotely be able to see the flip-side to. Like circumcision. When every medical reason has been debunked, at the end of the day it's nothing more than an unnecessary cosmetic surgery - genital mutilation - and I will never be open minded enough to understand how someone could consciously make the decision to do that to their perfect baby. I just can't.

I have a hard time sometimes wrapping my brain around people knowing x is better, but than choosing z.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly understand that circumstances and situations make people default to y, but to purposely choose z, no, I don't get it.

I understand that financial circumstances might cause someone to choose conventional apples over organic ones. But I don't understand why anyone would choose the apple-flavored gummies that have zero nutritional value at all.

I totally understand taking your kid out once a month for an ice cream cone. Sure, it's sugar and non-organic dairy that's pumped full of hormones, but it's once a month (or less!). I don't understand buying a box of twinkies that don't even have anything in them that resemble real food.

I get being so tired and sleep deprived that you resort to "sleep training" your baby by sending papa in to snuggle her at night, or laying beside her or standing by her crib patting her back while she cries until she eventually falls back to sleep, all the while reassuring her that she's not alone and she is deeply loved. I get that. I don't understand putting your baby in a dark room by himself and walking away until morning, neglecting his emotional need for you.

I understand being so overwhelmed and frazzled and giving your toddler a smack once or twice in your life that you deeply and remorsefully regret. You know, the type of thing that breaks your heart just thinking you ever caused pain to your babe. I don't get thinking that in any way, shape, or form, spanking a child deliberately and purposefully is ever okay. No, I don't understand that.

I do understand that no one can do x all the time for everything. Because x isn't even always possible. And x is extremely difficult. And so occasionally, or maybe often, we fall into the y category. I know I'm there all too often. That group that knows better and is truly trying to do better. To do the best possible because our kids are worth it.

But I don't understand the z category. The group that knows better but just doesn't care. The "Oh, I turned out fine, my kid will too" category that is completely blasé and isn't motivated to give their children the best they possibly can.

I don't understand it. I can't even pretend to. And I can't pretend to be open minded enough to say it's okay.

It's okay to do your best. To learn and strive for better. To make many mistakes and apologize and move on.

But to just sit back and not care. To say you let your baby cry herself to sleep and feel happy that it only took 45 minutes of listening to her while you did something else. Nope, don't get it. To actually defend and think it's okay to hit your child regularly and on purpose as a form of punishment. Nope, don't get it. To not think twice about feeding your kid processed garbage and fast food. Nope, still don't get it.

And those aren't the only things, obviously. They're just examples. Examples of the things I don't understand. Can't see the other side of no matter how hard I try.

And honestly, I'm not even opposed to trying to understand that side. Because I have. No one has ever really made a legitimate argument for it though.

So yes, I really do try to be open minded. I'm pretty accepting of things like religion and politics and all that jazz. But simply doing what is easiest for you and not your kid, yeah, I don't get that. I don't understand why anyone would purposely choose z, when y is always an option, and most especially if they are mentally/emotionally/physically/financially capable of z.

No comments:

Post a Comment