Thursday, December 26, 2013

The most important thing I've learned

So I've decided to take a break from blogging.

It's been a really awesome journey and learning experience for me, but for now my free time needs to be focused elsewhere.

I've learned a lot in the 18 months I've been blogging. Both as a parent and as a blogger.

I value it all.

I know some people will be a little bummed, especially since I've also deactivated my main Facebook account (mostly due to two friends having private photos shared - one having been made aware photos of her swimming children were being used a pedophilia website -eek! Though J has encouraged me to simply delete every picture and never upload more, and then activate my account again. We will see.) But I know most of you who do ask me things on occasion, have most of personal information. If not, I will leave this blog up for the time being, so feel free to email me through here or leave a comment which will be automatically sent to me.

I sincerely hope you have all enjoyed reading this blog as much as I have enjoyed writing it. And I thank you for embarking on this learning journey with me.

I've learned so much. I hope you have, too!

I do apologize if ever I came off as harsh or judgmental. I'm genuinely not, but I know that sometimes when I became impassioned about something I get caught up in it, and don't always come off as so kind. And for that, I'm sorry. Genuinely.

Parenting isn't a pissing contest. It's isn't something to take score of. There are no extra points handed out. "Supermom" is a myth; and rightly so.

It's a personal journey and experience, and I know sometimes I forget that not everyone knows what I know, when I know it; much like I don't know everything others know when they know it. Hence the learning.

I hope if you took nothing else from this blog you take away gentle and peaceful parenting. Even if you cannot find it within yourself to parent non-punitively, at least do it with empathy and compassion.

Remember that every time you yell or spank your child, you have added a stone to their personal wall, and that wall separates them from you. You might not notice it today, or tomorrow, and perhaps you'll be oblivious to it forever, but your child won't. I guarantee it.

So always choose kindness. Being gentle is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign of strength. Having the ability to show self-control and empathy when you're angry and at your limit is a much stronger show of character than "controlling" your child and "putting them in their place."

And I will let you in on a little secret. We all have the ability to break the cycle. If we dig deep down within ourselves, we all have the ability to be peaceful parents.

I know for me, that is the most important thing I've learned thus far on my learning journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment