Sunday, September 16, 2012

People are miracles, too

I remember when Miss H was still a brand new person to this huge, mysterious world, wondering to myself if, or better yet, when - as it seemed inevitable - I would someday look at her and not immediately view her as the miracle she truly is. At what point in a person's life, do we start to forget that they are this wonderful miracle?

To some deree, it's happened. I can't tell you the first time I looked at my amazing firstborn child and didn't immediately think "Wow, she's a miracle." I do remember the first time I realized I wasn't always viewing her as so.

I was a bit crushed. How could I not look at this beautiful, perfect, blatant symbol of mine and J's love and see her as anything other than the miracle she is?

Because she's a person. Because she cries when I'm all ready about to go nuts. Because she does things like sharpie my windowsills and kicks me when she's mad and tired, and then of course, I'm not thinking that she's wonderful at those moments.

So when I've had a particularly long day, and know that I haven't appreciated Miss H the way I should, I make myself remember the amazing day she came into this world. Those precious seconds when she left my body and became an entire person that was separate from me. A perfect, screaming, feisty person. A miracle.

It's so easy to look at a fresh babe and realize what a miracle they are. It's not so easy sometimes to do so with a  toddler. Or an older child, or even an adult. But all people are miracles. We just have to stop and remember that, and see the beauty in the every day moments of their lives. Because it's such a sad thing when we stop viewing our children as the miracles that God gave us (or Mother Nature...or whatever you believe in).

People are miracles, too. Not just newborns.

No comments:

Post a Comment