Saturday, September 22, 2012

Why I let my 2 year old get a manicure

While vacationing in Okinawa, every time we walk to or from the pool or beach, we pass a nail salon in our hotel. The windows are filled with garish fake nails in crazy colors (I'm a pink and red kind of gal) with silly, over the top designs (I'm also a Plain Jane). There is also a nail display specifically made to entice small children.

It worked. Miss H loved it.

The first two days, each time we would walk by, she'd ask if she could get her nails painted. And each time, for those two days, I parroted to her, "Not right now. Momma has to figure out how she feels about it first." Luckily for me, that was an acceptable answer and continued on.

I was very conflicted about allowing my 2 year old to have a manicure. Of course, it was really just getting her nails filed, painted, and some art on the thumbs. But still.

I had mixed feelings.

I know, I know. You are either thinking 1.) It's just a freaking manicure, what's the big deal? or 2.) She's 2! That's a no-brainer. No!

I was raised more or less with a very strong emphasis that it is what's on the outside that matters. And I do not want that for my daughter. At all. I don't want her thinking she needs well-manicured fingers and toes or a face full of make-up at the age of 11 or designer clothes. I want her to always feel beautiful and confident regardless of what she chooses to wear of the upkeep of her nails. And I certainly do not want her judging others due to their appearance either.

That being said, I certainly do not think the aforementioned things are bad. I think it is very important to take pride in your appearance. And I give Miss H a let of leverage in controlling her own. I let her pick out her own clothes for the most part now. What is purchased for her as well as what she wears daily. Of course, that doesn't mean I do not enjoy dressing her up cute as doll (and B, too, for that matter!). She knows nothing about labels. She could care less about what I like, or her papa likes, or the girl down the street. She loves the dresses she picked out at Goodwill as much as the ones she chose from the local boutique a few blocks from our house. She has no idea about the price difference or the "designer" difference. Nor does she care. Which is, honestly, just how it should be in both 2 year old land and 42 year old land.

And as far as manicures go...well, before I got married I got pedicures religiously (definitely more often than I attended mass...). And even now, although I have learned I no longer enjoy receiving pedicures, I still like to paint my toes. And I have zero qualms with allowing H to paint her nails at home. As I said, there is nothing wrong with taking care of your appearance. I just don't want her stuck on it.

So really, is a professional manicure so bad?

Turns out, it's not. While J stayed with a sleeping B, H and I ventured to the nail salon. She chose a very sparkly blue polish that took my eyes some adjusting to get used to, and decided on one thumb nail to be painted as a cat (okay, it was "Hello Kitty" but she doesn't know what that is and I don't really have any desire to introduce her) and the other thumb nail she had a little orange decal glued on. She had a blast and couldn't stop saying "thank you" (at least manners is one department I've conquered successfully as a parent!).

You know what, she is still the same little girl. She doesn't seem anymore vain or materialistic for having it done. In fact, she proudly picked the orange decal off before she made it bed that night (and I think she may have eaten it...) and happily worked on peeling some of the other paint off.

Would I allow her to get another manicure again? Probably. Preferably in the US where it doesn't cost $30 to put a bit of polish on a toddlers nails. And it certainly won't be every time she asks.

But now that I know she prefers nail polish colors outside of the red family, some chemical-free, non-toxic nail polish may show up in her Christmas stocking.

A win-win for us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment