Friday, February 15, 2013

"Mommy, go away."

For the most part, when J is home, I'm like chopped liver to H. She only wants me if she's looking for a boob or chocolate (at least she knows who gives her candy).

Today, every time I'd try to get her out of the car, she'd yell, "No! I want Papa to do it!"

So I'd walk away, trying not to feel defeated. Trying not to take it personally, because I know it's not.

When we finally returned home and I opened her car door she said, "Mommy, go away!"

I looked at her, annoyed, a bit hurt, and said, "I don't like it when you speak to me that way. It makes me sad."

Her face softened a bit and she replied, "Mommy, please go away. And please don't be sad. I just need my Papa today."

There is something simply profound when a two year old can put her needs into words. And when she's able to make you understand she really has nothing against you.

Sometimes a girl just needs her Papa.

And that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment