Thursday, May 24, 2012

I *am* successful.

It's funny, when the people I speak to who I've actually bothered to tell that I was accepted to Law School learn, typically all in the same breath, that I'm not actually going to attend, I typically get told that it's for the best, I'd miss these precious years with my babes, or that that's crazy, of course I should go! I mean, I actually got in! And then, one person actually said to me, "But don't you want to be successful in life?"

You see, this is where things get a bit gray. One person's definition of success is not necessarily someone else's definition.

It seems that many people equate success with wealth. With big houses, a 9-5 job, 2 car payments, and taking a nice vacation once a year.

Sure, if that's what makes those people happy, than that's great. But that's not how I view success. Not for me anyway.

I'm 24-years-old. I am happily married to the love of my life, I have two beautiful, happy, healthy children. I get to spend every single day with these children. And seriously, nothing makes me happier than my family.

If someone had told me ten years ago that this is what my life would have been, I'd have thought they were joking. And I would not have been impressed with myself. At all. I always assumed I'd have a big career, likely as a lawyer. I had no intentions of ever getting married - love was a ridiculous notion and I was much to practical for something so silly. Although I adored children, loved being with them, I never actually envisioned having any of my own. I thought I'd likely adopt, but not until well into my 30s and when I would be able to have a full-time nanny, because of course, I'd be much too busy to actually raise them myself.

But it's funny how life has a way of just happening, and all the pieces fell together beautifully and perfectly for me.

And I am successful. One of the most successful people I know, in fact. I am incredibly happy. I have no regrets in life. There is not one single solitary thing I would change about my life. I simply love being a mom and wife, shocking as it is, even to me.

So, maybe I'm not your definition of success, and that's okay, because we all have our own definitions. And really, all that matters is our own, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment