Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A sitter before one

It’s only one o’clock and today has all ready been a success in my book. Breakfast and lunch both made and fed. A load of laundry done, four loads folded (don’t judge…). Six potential babysitters interviewed. “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” read about 6,233,235,654,134 times, because there is no such thing as reading a book only once in toddlerland. Oh, and we’ve gone rolie polie hunting for over an hour, and played with the water table.

And a super successful part of the day, B took a nap without being held or in the car, which is like monumental (but he was in my bed…which is a step from where he’s sleeping now…on my chest…). I keep joking to J that I’m going to stick B in the crib someday, but really, ever since the 2 minutes I left him in there like two weeks ago while I ran to the bathroom, I think we’ve both been pretty traumatized for  me to ever actually try that out in the near future. But never say never.

To think, some people think stay at home moms just eat bon bons and play on facebook all day (I mean, we have been forced to evolve some, most soap operas have been taken off air. But don’t ask me how I know that…)

Anyway, on to the best, and definitely very most successful part of this morning – I have finally found a babysitter! Two actually. I have interviewed well over 40 at this point since mid-April, none of them living up to my standards, go figure. My standards might be a little high for someone who hasn’t gone through the pain and effort of actually giving birth to them. But what can I say – they are my kids. I expect whoever is caring for them to treat them as I would. With compassion.

It’s kind of humorous how many applicants I have literally emailed the “answers” (aka my parenting beliefs) to before ever even interviewing them, and yet they still get it all, all wrong. When I said we refrain from yelling at our children, how could you (general you) think that the proper answer to a question is “I would yell…” Or when I said that we try to use distraction, how is “I would put her in time-out then…” be the right answer? And if I had a dollar for every time someone said, in regards to Miss H hitting, “I would tell her she’s being mean…” Um, no. I don’t tell my child she is mean. I tell her that her actions are hurtful, but never that she’s mean. Yeah, most people think this is awfully fruity, and I’m okay with it. It works for us. And if I’m trusting you with my kids, and paying you, it better work for you, too. Just sayin’.

But, I had two girls today that I really liked and  who at the very least put on a good show with my babes and said all the right things. So I will probably hire them both.

I really just need someone to watch them while I go to pilates while Jaime’s on travel, because I don’t trust the huge childcare center at the gym. It’s a personal thing. I’m sure they’re great, certainly don’t think they’re wrong to use (I stuck B in it at 6 weeks old while H did swim lessons!). But it just doesn’t do it for me anymore.

So I am absolutely elated to have found someone. Maybe this means J and I will even get to go on a date sometime. Woo hoo!  

No comments:

Post a Comment