Tuesday, May 29, 2012

It's just not a tortilla if it's paleo.

Baby B had the worst case of reflux, pretty much ever when he was a newbie. His doctor swore it couldn't be food related, but when the strongest meds at the strongest dose didn't even help a wee bit, I went with my mommy-gut and decided it likely was food related.

While doing some research, I came across the Paleo lifestyle. It was not something new to me, as I've been on a serious quest to healthier living since I became pregnant with my daughter. It was, however, not something I had really considered before as it always seemed too "hard." I mean, no dairy, grains, potatoes, processed food...ever??

But, during my research I also learned not only had it been proven to help reflux in many infants, it had also helped a lot of women who were dealing with post partum depression, something I was suffering from mostly in silence.

I decided at the very least trying Paleo wouldn't hurt. The first week was hell. Seriously. I can only imagine it was similar to how an addict feels during withdrawals. But, for all intents and purposes, I was going through withdrawals. From sugar. That shit is in everything!

But once I made it through the first week, I felt so much better. I lost the last 10lbs of baby weight that month. And another 10lbs the following (where I've remained). B's reflux completely disappeared. My head got clearer, and here nearly 6 mos later, I am very much free of PPD, and did it with nothing more than change of diet and added vitamin D. So for me, Paleo totally "works."

That being said, I'm not as crazy militant about it as I was in the beginning. I eat cookies and sandwiches at parties. If we go out to eat, all bets are off. I eat a crepe every Saturday morning for breakfast. I eat raw cheese (typically goat's) when I get a hankering for dairy. I buy "processed" almond milk and almond butter. And I eat tortillas when I want Mexican, because I've tried, but it's just not a tortilla if it's Paleo. Though I do tend to opt for gluten-free tortillas most often. Truth is, I can really feel it when I stray from the Paleo diet, but it doesn't mean I never do. But I try to stick with it as much as possible, which is actually easier than I had thought because I know how bad the non-Paleo food really are for you.

That being said, if I want a fucking cookie, I'm going to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment