Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Netflix is amazing!

We just got Netflix.

I know what you're thinking, "Everyone under the sun has Netflix! And cable, etc., etc."

Well, not true.

J and I haven't had cable or anything other than TV with an antenna since we first got together. We almost didn't even have a TV, but then we changed our mind about a week before we got married. I mean, what were we going to do without a TV? Talk to each other!? Psh! We'd just spent a year doing NOTHING but talking (which caused for us to not make any friends on our marriage retreat because we legitimately new every single one of the "Newlyweds Game" questions about each other. But that's for another day...)

Anyway. We got a TV. We both agreed we were too cheap for cable or otherwise, though. We didn't really watch enough TV to make it worth it, and even if we did, we could afford a nice, small mini-vacation with what we'd pay for cable each year. Or a decent chunk of a real vacation. We like travelling more than sitting on our bums, so it made sense for us.

I will admit that after H was born I thought about cable for a bit. Because at that point I was watching TV all the time. I mean, babies are boring. Sweet, but boring. I was in a big ol' house and didn't know anyone at that point in my life. So I got to be friends with the hosts of the Today Show. Ellen became my homegirl and I watched more soap operas than I even realized existed.

And then H hit like 5 months old and things got more fun and she was awake more and the TV went off because I didn't want her watching it.

So flash forward to now.

When the kids go to bed, J and I chill out in front of the TV. We drink a glass of wine, we talk about our day, etc., etc. But the TV is on.

And TV is getting crappy these days. So we were red boxing it more and more. We finally agreed it was worth it to buy the Blu Ray player so we could access Netflix through our TV (yes, we didn't even own a Blu Ray player! You'd probably die if I told you we didn't have a microwave either, eh?).

Best. Decision. Ever.

Netflix has Eureka. And Dexter. And Dawson's Creek.

Omg, Dawson's Creek! I've seen roughly 5 or 6 episodes of Dawson's Creek. It came out when I was 10. So by the time I was old enough to be interested in it, it was going out. And I'm one of those crazy nuts who has to start something, even a TV series, from the beginning. I can't just hop in in the middle.

The kids' love it because now their one allotted Daniel Tiger for the day can be watched at anytime. It doesn't have to be at 1pm. I haven't checked yet to see if it has Charlie and Lola, but I'm thinking it's better to never know. Charlie and Lola is their most current obsession. We rent the DVDs and check out books from the library. They get to watch it in the car. And they're obsessed. Oh, so obsessed. So I'm okay with none of us ever knowing if it can be viewed inside, ha!

Netflix is seriously amazing. I know it's not a new thing; not by a long shot. But I'm always the last person to get on the bandwagon for technology stuff anyway. So it's totally new for me.

And it's awesome. There is no surfing through the channels, wishing something worth watching is on after the babes are in bed, knowing that nothing is.

Now we just get to click, click, click and watch! And it's something worth watching!

Like Dawson's Creek, bahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment