Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Who needs their own beds anyway?

You know that saying "Don't rock the boat"? Yeah, well, I never abide by it.

It seems that whenever something is smooth sailing, I find a good way to mess it up.

Take sleep for instance. Our kiddos have been sleeping with us all our lives. But after we got back from New Mexico I got this brilliant idea - why not see if they'll sleep in their own rooms?

We put up a new bed for Miss H (again...), took one of the mattresses out of our room and stuck it in their room for baby B. They both went to bed without a hitch the first night.

I nursed baby B to sleep and H fell alseep on her own since I was in the same room.

And then clock struck midnight. And all hell broke loose!

Baby B woke up screaming, H woke up screaming. Everyone was mostly incoherent. I'd litterally just fallen asleep (try falling to sleep without a baby next to you when you've done so for the past two years. Not as easy as I had been fantasizing!). J woke up in a panic. So we played musical beds and H ended up in bed with J and I fell asleep in bed with Baby B.

What's that? We were sleeping just like we typically do? Only now J and I were in seperate rooms?

Yeah. I didn't realize that...

But we tried and tried again, and now we're mostly down to H and B sleeping on the mattress together, and I end up in there around 4am for some tumultutous sleep until they rise at 6am. But that's better than our first night, right?

Mostly, if this doesn't get better in another week I'm calling it quits. I don't know how real people do this; how they get their kids into their own beds. It's exhausting. And co-sleeping just isn't. And I miss my sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment