Sunday, May 5, 2013

Bunny

H has never been attached to anything for sleep or comfort. No blanket or toy or lovey. I used to say the only comfort object she is/was (she's still not weaned...) attached to were my boobs.

And up until recently B has pretty much been the same way. But since he started the nights off in his own bed a few months ago he's attached himself to "bunny."

Before he was even born I bought him a Little Nut Brown Hare lovey because I thought it was cute. It was shown no love, yet remained as one of the few baby things we had left simply because I loved it. Being second born and so close in age to his sister, and with all our newborn stuff being gender neutral, we didn't "need" anything before B was born.

So other than a newborn sized flower romper that I still have tucked away (obviously B being a he never ended up wearing it), Little Nut Brown Hare was the only thing I bought especially for B before he was born.

So it remained.

He discovered Bunny when he began sleeping in his own bed. He doesn't really cuddle or play with Bunny, but Mr. B squeals his name in delight and falls asleep touching him.

And this is a must for nighttime sleep if he's in his own bed ( if he's in Momma's bed Bunny is not necessary).

As B is growing, nearing closer to 2 everyday ( a 2 yr old AND a 3 yr old!?), Bunny is a sweet reminder of the dear baby he still really is.

Of that newborn who slept long stretches. Who cried every evening like clockwork from 4-7. Who sucked furiously on the cheap Nuk pacifiers for the first 5 months of his life despite all the expensive, natural, green and organic pacifiers I purchased.

That sweet boy who smiled at me through a haze of PPD and refused to be left behind as he crawled after his sister at 6 months old. A baby who nestled and fit perfectly into the curve of my body each night, who never laid his tiny head in a crib for sleep.

The fearless baby who took his first steps just shy of 10 months and only chewed his food, but never swallowed it and instead always found my hand to spit it into.

That sweet, comical, adventurous baby is growing into a little boy.

But he'll always be my tiny babe.

Bunny is proof of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment