Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Every day is an adventure!

I always envisioned I'd live an exotic and adventurous life. Alone. That I'd join the Peace Corps and I'd save the world, one orphan or human trafficking victim at a time. I'd work to change the laws to help establish better basic human rights worldwide.

Even a mere five years ago I'd have laughed if someone told me my grand adventure would be my family.

And yet here I am, and I can't envision it any differently.

I didn't give up any dreams. I didn't miss out on anything. I have no regrets.

But I have all new dreams. Big and beautiful. In some ways, better dreams.

And I have grand adventures every day with two of the best people I know.

This morning Mr. B decided 5:40am was a great wake up time. I was a bit too tired to argue. After the kids were fed runny eggs and I fit in a work out (and let me tell you, there is nothing cuter than those two trying to copy the work out with me!), we had a family shower (because they'll eventually not loooove to shower with me every single time I make it in there, right?!), we ventured off to the garden store for starter plants.

Last year most of the plants in our garden we grew from seeds, but due to a combination of being ridiculously busy, as well as the crazy weather (though mostly from being busy) we simply never got around to it. But that's okay, because now we totally have a "surprise garden." As in, "Surprise! You had no idea H or B put that plant into your wagon!" So about one half of our plants were chosen by my amazing helpers, who were both very eager to help push and pull the wagon around the garden store and stock it full of green plants.

When we left H told me in the car, "Momma, I just really, really, really need a cake pop." So, you know, she got a cake pop when we made it to Target. B had fallen asleep at this point (that's what happens when you decide to start the day before 6!), but was alert enough to squawk at the possibility of me putting him in the Ergo. So I carried him. All through Target.

Where, other than Miss H's cake pop, I did not get a single thing I went there for. But plenty of stuff I did not go for. Like H's fedora. And a bike helmet for her. And more shampoo for her. You see the trend? H might have a shopping problem. She even tried on 6 pairs of shoes even though I assured her that we were not buying more shoes (so she may have a shoe problem too...).

In the bike aisle she spotted a small skate board. She's been requesting a skate board since last summer. She declared, "This is just my size! I've wanted a skateboard for my whole forever life, Momma! I just need it." I told her we'd talk to papa and maybe in a few weeks. She then saw the scooters and said, "I could get this instead. It has handles. Would that make you feel better, Momma?" At least she's thoughtful.

At home we played in the back yard for a long while...
 
 
 
 
 Until they insisted on going on a bike ride.
 
 
 
  But then they got tired (a half a block later...)



 
So they found some caterpillars to play with while they took a break.
 
 
This caterpillar was a genius. B picked it up in the middle, I was pretty sure he'd crunched it right in half (not like that's happened before...) and the little guy didn't move a wink while B held him. But dude, the second B put him down he moved quicker than I've ever seen a caterpillar haul ass in my life. Smart, smart, little bugger. He was playing dead so B wouldn't kill him.
 

 
 We finally made it to the park. A random woman came up and said to me, "Your children are so beautiful it's sick. Look at them, it's just sick." Definitely the strangest most bizarre "compliment" I've ever heard.
 


 Before leaving the park in the late afternoon they decided to do more caterpillar hunting. H put one of the caterpillars on the rail and climbed up after it. She also collected seven, yes, seven, caterpillars on our walk home. They were crawling in and out of her hands and all over her shirt. She thought it was amazing.




 
She showed me her filthy hands (and clothes and face) and told me, "I'm so dirty I need a bath! When I'm this dirty I know I've had fun!"
 
 
After their bath B was out and snoring like a light. (You see Bunny there behind him? Sniffle.) 
 

And H cuddled for a bit before finally drifting off into slumber land.

 
 
So yes, I'm not living the adventures I had once thought I would. But they're better adventures. For me. They are the ones I'm supposed to be partaking in.
 
Every single day is an adventure. You just have to let it be.



No comments:

Post a Comment