Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Night Owl

H has always been so much like J, especially where sleep is concerned. Neither one of them seem to really need any.

Well, last night I had H all snug in her bed at 830pm.

Come 9pm I'm sitting on the couch, wine in hand, about to watch a movie with J when I hear the oh-so familiar sound of pitter patter on the stairs.

"Can I share your wine?" my tiny dancer asked, peeking through the bars of the stairs.

I smiled at her. Really, this kid is incredulous. And absolutely irresistible, you can't help but smile at her. Even if you tucked her into bed 30 minutes ago.

"Probably not," I answered her truthfully.

"Well, can I sit on the couch with you?"

Typically I'd send her back to bed. Mostly because she'll go, and because I took a shower and had a totally different type of evening planned. But alas, I said, "Sure, kiddo," and patted on the couch, making space between J and I.

"What are we doing?" she asked, making herself comfy, little Duckie snuggling onto her lap.

"Getting ready to watch a movie," I answered, thankful we'd opted against D'Jango.

"You know this movie is rated R for language," J said. Not to make H go back to bed, but to give me the opportunity to opt out of the movie.

"You know our daughter is rated R for language, too," I laughed, after having listened to her tell everyone in Target "Holy shit!" while I shopped earlier that day.

J got the movie ready. I told him "sorry" because our night had clearly taken a drastic turn thanks to our little night owl.

"Don't be," he told me. "This is what I signed up for. Spending time with my wife and children. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my evening."

The movie was slow at first, and H and Duckie posed for a serious photo shoot on J's phone. H drank water out of a wine glass and gave tons of cuddles and kisses.

When the movie was over, past 11pm, and J and I were beat, H still wide awake, I took her into her room and kissed her good night. Again.

H wrapped her arms around my neck and told me, "Momma, you're my best friend. I'm so glad I got to watch a movie with you and papa all just for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment