Wednesday, March 6, 2013

F*** naps!

I loathe naps. Despise them. Abhor them. There are not enough words in the English language to adequately describe how much I hate naps.

I’ve never had “good sleepers.” I think for the most part I accepted that pretty gracefully. I’ve acknowledged and accepted that it may be many, many years before I am able to get four (yes, you read that right, four) solid hours of sleep.

But by golly, would it kill my kids to nap for an hour!? And for it to be relatively painless for said nap to occur?

H hasn’t really napped since, well, before B was born. She, like B, fought sleep from birth. I just rolled with it. She needs a nap, she just doesn’t do it. Occasionally she’ll crash in the car, or while I have her lying in bed when I’m putting B to sleep. But rarely. When she was under 18 months I could hold her or nurse her or wear her and that would help a lot. Then she decided that was no good too.

B had the same feelings, but kind of gave up the “you can hold me and nurse me to nap” around 14 months.

But dear God those children need to nap. And Momma needs 1 hour to herself. I feel like that’s not asking for much. Especially the weeks when J is not here. Those weeks when there are no naps are brutal.

I sometimes get envious when I hear of people having friends or family who routinely baby sit their kids. I’m like, “Omfg, you get a break!?” And it seems surreal and amazing. Because I adore my kids. They’re the greatest things in my life, yadda yadda yadda. But sometimes I just want to be a human, too, ya know?

My little sister on rare occasions watches them, and I’m eternally grateful for that but she’s a busy college kid, so her availability is limited, which I understand.

But dear lord. If they’d just nap, and easily, it wouldn’t be such a big deal. On the days they do finally nap, I’m so freaking exhausted from finally helping them get to sleep that I’m too exhausted to enjoy those 30-45 minutes to myself (because they rarely nap longer than that unless in the car).

Today is took Miss H 1.5 hours to fall asleep. I typically ask her to lie in her bed while I put B to sleep, in hopes she’ll pass out too. She finally did. B succumbed 30 minutes later. This was after a morning full of playing with one of their good friends whom I was sitting for, then spending over an hour outside in the snow, followed by lunch. I didn’t put them down ridiculously early or anything. It was 1pm and they were rubbing their eyes and getting to the yawning phases. We read stories and had cuddles and then it all went to hell with lots of screaming and crying. Because, you know, sleep is torture. Lying down with them is like lighting them on fire. Or you would think so with the way they react.

To be fair, not all days are like that. There are occasions that they pass out quickly. They are few and far between, but they happen.

I even laugh when lots of toddler sleep resources say toddlers fall asleep within 5-10 minutes. And I always feel like 30-40 minutes is a good day or night.

Oh, well. This is me very ungracefully dealing with their inability to nap.

And really, I would even say, okay, hey, no naps. Everyone stay awake and have a bloody party if that’s what you want. Except they’re unbearable. They are in full-on melt down mode when they don’t nap. So it’s a lose-lose situation. Do I want to hear them whine and cry in the afternoon or in the evening?

Have I mentioned lately that I extremely dislike naps?

No comments:

Post a Comment