Thursday, March 21, 2013

First world problems gotta go

Sometimes I think it is overly easy to take things for granted. Especially our "first world problems."

You hear about them all the time. Which coffee should I buy today from Starbucks? I couldn't afford the 20k car, so had to settle for the 15k car. They were out of my favorite cereal at the grocery store. They cut my hair too short, etc., etc. The list goes on and on. All those "problems" that are never thought twice about in third world countries because they don't exist. Survival is all that is thought too much about.

Lately I've been over-stressing about a lot of first world problems. Things I need to let go. Just this morning I was wondering how I was going to fill our kiddos Easter Baskets thanks to this awesome furlough (I hope you can read this sarcasm). Which is a ridiculous worry - all ready I have books and a few small things for them. They won't know they difference, nor care. It's more for me. I want everything for them to be big and awesome and magical and spectacular.

But while brushing kids' teeth as they danced around in tutus and listened to Pandora an ad came on through Pandora talking about buying Easter candy and go ahead and buy some for yourself, no one will mind. And all I could think about was all the people in third world countries who don't even know what candy is or tastes like, let alone get Easter baskets filled with goodies, as well as Christmas, Valentine's, and Birthday presents. They don't go trick or treating. They don't even have clean water for Christ's sakes, which is an actual issue, as opposed to celebrating holidays.

Yet here I am, worrying about first world problems. Silly, silly me.

So here's to worrying less about first world problems, and being ever so grateful that I don't have third world problems to deal with.

Blessed we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment