Thursday, March 28, 2013

I said "yes" and got to witness this!

So I've been very determined lately not to tell my children "no" unless I have a really good and legitimate reason to do so. Being tire or exasperated isn't a good enough reason, I decided.

Of course, my little darlings decided to immediately put this to the test.

While we were driving home from the gym one evening this week, H noticed the empty popcorn box in the car from our visit to the circus this past week. "Momma," she said, "I'd really like some popcorn. May I have some?"

"Oh, babe, that container is empty," I told her.

"Can I have some when I get home then?"

"We don't have any at home," I informed her. "But we can call Papa and ask him to get some on his way home, if you'd like."

"I'd really like to pick it out myself. Can we just stop at the store?"

It was 5:30 all ready. I still had to make dinner. I'd just about killed myself running two miles and then doing weights (don't laugh at my weakness!). The last thing I wanted to do was stop at the grocery store and finagle two tired and hungry toddlers just to get some popcorn.

But I said, "Sure we can."

And we did.

And I'm so glad we did, otherwise I would have missed out on a really beautiful moment between my two babes.

At the check out line they each chose one chocolate truffle, because it's become a habit now, thanks co-op for having yummy chocolate there!

B immediately devoured his before I'd even swiped the debit card, and H said, "I want to wait until I'm in the car to eat mine."

Cool.

So after everyone is buckled and situated B starts asking for more. I kindly tell him that that is all, there is no more, and he begins to cry.

"Momma," H said, "B really wants more. We should get him more. Look how sad he is. He's having a really hard time, Momma."

"I'm sorry," I said to both of them, "Momma doesn't have any more."

H slowly unwrapped her own truffle. "Is it okay if I share mine with him?"

"Yes, but remember, I don't have anymore. That's your only one."

"I know." She proceeded to bite her chocolate in half and hand a very delighted B the other half.

Children are beautiful.

They are good and innocent and pure.

And my children never cease to melt my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment