Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Going Paleo

So a friend asked that I blog about my Paleo journey. But it is just that, a journey. I'm still figuring it out, a year later.

I had never heard of Paleo until baby B was a few months old. He had the worlds worst reflux. Even with the strongest meds at the strongest dosage, it made no difference. His pediatrician was sure it couldn't be food related or else he would have blood in his stools. But my mommy instinct told me otherwise and it was really the only time I've questioned our awesome pediatrician.

So I began researching the most common infant allergens so I'd know where to start. My findings were wheat, dairy, and soy (and turns out B is intolerant of all three!). Mostly I was sure this was the end of my life as I knew it. No ice cream???? I was fairly certain this wasn't possible.

The more research I did, the more something called Paleo kept popping up. It was a way of eating that  is closest to how the first humans ate. Meat, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. No grains (wheat, beans, rice). No dairy (though some who practice Paleo believe raw dairy is okay). No soy. No processed foods. At all. Limited nightshade veggies.

I thought it sounded crazy and absurd and figured I'd just omit the common allergens from my diet. Except this one thing kept popping up.

Everywhere I turned I kept reading how people suffering from PPD had been extremely successful curing it, for lack of a better word, on the Paleo diet. (Amongst other things, people lost weight, acne disappeared, diabetes gone, etc., etc).

To be honest it all seemed too good to be true. But I bought Loren Cordain's book about the "Paleo Diet" and read it in mere hours. I was hooked. Not only did it seem like a great solution for both B and my issues, I fully understood the genuine health benefits and how this truly is the healthiest way to eat.

So I took the plunge, for the first four months I was hardcore. I didn't consume a single morsel that wasn't considered Paleo. B's reflux disappeared completely. I left the foggy, hazy, awful world of PPD. I lost 20 lbs quicker than I knew was possible (and thus became 20lbs lighter than before my first pregnancy).

I believe in Paleo. 110%.

I'm not hardcore now. My rule is if its in my home, it's Paleo. With a few exceptions. I still have coffee, though not daily. There is gluten-free pancakes and pasta made on occasion (though I rarely eat them). I do eat coconut milk ice cream and cook with almond and coconut milks, all of which are processed. My husband drinks raw milk.

When we travel all bets are off. I actually hate returning to the standard Americam diet while on travel. I feel like shit. I feel like I spend most of my time telling poor J I might be dying. But I'm also not rude enough to refuse food that others prepare. I have no issues saying my kids can't eat things that genuinely make them sick, but I feel like telling people that I don't eat xyz makes me seem like an elitist bitch. Which I'm not. I'm just concerned about my health. And my family's.

In Cordain's book he recommends going 85/15 for those who don't feel they can truly give it all up. Eat 85% Paleo each week, the other 15% can be whatever. So it makes it possible to still have your coffee or wine or ice cream, but still gives you all the amazing benefits of Paleo.

For me, Paleo is not simply a way of eating, but a way if understanding food and health. It's a way of life.

There us a ton more I could say, but a sweet baby boy is summoning my attention. Perhaps another post. But always feel free to ask questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment