Monday, December 24, 2012

Miss Manners is contradicting

So, Miss Manners says to always have particular foods for your guests - family guests and otherwise. Basically if you have at least a days notice, even if the visit is only for an hour or two, you should make sure you have foods your guests like. So if Sally drinks a different milk than you, you get it. If Jimmy only eats blueberries, you stock up. If Jane is vegan, you acquaint yourself with tofu.

I get it. I try really hard to abide by it. But it's not always perfect.

Miss Manners also says to never feed your guests something you wouldn't eat yourself.

Well, sorry, I'm not eating tofu. Not even for Jane.

So I've had to loosely interpret these for myself. So I stood in front of the milk, so something I haven't bought from a store in over a year, looking for 2% milk, which I haven't bought in over 6 years, trying to figure out which was the less of the evils (I went with Organic Valley if anyone wants to know). And so this continued as I perused sugar, lunch meats, breads, etc.

I don't mind buying different stuff, in fact, I like it. I enjoy being able to do at least something to help people feel more comfortable when away from home because I thoroughly understand how alienating it is to be somewhere else and realize there is virtually nothing to meet your food needs.

That being said, I never expect others to buy particular things for us, so it's always a nice surprise when I show up to my sister in law or elsewhere and she's bought the kids almond milk and gluten free crackers.

On a different note, B is saying "I love you" pretty damn well lately which melts my heart. He will be dumping cereal on the floor and look at me with a wicked grin and say "I wuv you." And yeah, the cereal becomes a non-issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment