Saturday, January 5, 2013

Curly hair is a beast!

When I was a little girl I wanted curly hair. I prayed for it. I made bargains with God for it. I literally cried for it. And when my Mom told me that the crust on bread would give me curly hair, I ate crusts like they were going out of style.

But I never got curly hair.

My daughter did.

It's lovely, beautiful brown, soft, shiny hair.

But she got my ridiculously fine baby hair. That means it tangles like a beast.

And she got her papa's curly/wavy locks.

On day one, fresh from a shower, it's some pretty serious curls. The subsequent days it turns to more wave with curls on the ends.

It's perfect. It's beautiful.

It's a beast to manage.

I don't know what to do with it most of the time. All I know how to deal with is dead straight locks. That's what I have. I don't know how to make hers look decent.

I don't know what kind of shampoo or conditioner to use. Or which ones not to. I've tried about 110 with little to no luck. I've tried detangler out the wazoo.

For the most part, I feel like I need a class in managing baby fine curly hair. J is no help, because he doesn't do much with his hair. And it's not baby fine, so he doesn't understand that aspect.

I've asked a million people at hair salons and in the shampoo department, etc. No one is really very helpful. "Oh, try this shampoo," they say, and then you can cue blood curdling screams of "Oh my goodness! It's burning my eyes!" or "Try this, I love it!" and suddenly her hair is an oil slick or the driest most horrid frizz ball.

I feel like hair shouldn't be this hard. Especially when you're not even three.

For the most part I just let it go. I tame it with lots of detangler, try to pin the hair out of her eyes if I can wrangle her long enough, and hope for the best.

I wouldn't change a thing about H. Not even her hair.

But I also understand why God didn't give me curly hair. It would not have been a pretty thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment