Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The sickies came to our house

The sickies have finally made their way to my babes. Well, to one of them anyway.

We've been incredibly fortunate that our kids haven't really been sick. H had a UTI at around 18 mos that was caused by diarrhea that was caused by teething...and they each had a minor cold this past fall. And H has my awesome sinuses. But that's it, luckily.

And then B vomited. Projectile vomited all over me and the library in our house. The floor was covered. In cheese and watermelon. Lovely visual, eh?

But he never broke a fever and he acted perfectly normal in between. Playing and running about, just coming back to me every 20-30 minutes in order to vomit in my lap. Classy, right? And four hours later the pukes stopped and that was that.

I called his pediatrician twice during this time. Yep, can you tell I worry much and truly had no idea what to do? He was puking bile apparently, and I was about to freak the flip out because I didn't know what this extreme yellow, thick stuff was that kept coming up was and Jaime was in-transit and I had no idea who else to call and ask who wouldn't think I was completely off my rocker or maybe under qualified to be a mom, so I just called the pediatrician.

And then called them again when they were all "Well, if he pukes more than 8x in 12 hours then call us back because that's more worrisome." Of course, when I did tell them he'd puked 8x in less than 4 hours all they said was to stop nursing him and giving him liquids. Yeah...I'm only going to assume that that nurse never had a hungry/thirsty toddler before. But it's cool, because he didn't vomit again after that.

So I'm not sure if I'm convinced it was a bug or from eating the cheese. He couldn't even tolerate me drinking milk or eating cheese and getting it through my breast milk as a small babe, so maybe he really just cannot deal well with it. We've not really tried until today. I mean, he's had milk that's cooked into things and whatnot, but today he downed two cheese sticks. That's the most dairy he's ever had at once.

Who knows? I'm not going to do an experiment to find out, that's for sure!

But what a sweet little girl I have, who loved on her brother and waited so patiently for her papa to get home early so that he could hold B while we made her "banana treat" (two frozen bananas, cocoa powder and coconut milk blended - like chocobanana ice cream!) that she wanted to so badly. She waited for two hours without whining!

Anyway, the only real downside to not knowing if it was a bug or cheese is that I then feel obligated to keep him home for 24 hours, so as not to pass on our potential germs to unsuspecting folks. And we are not stay at home all day people. At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment