Wednesday, January 16, 2013

TV and I are going to go at it pretty soon

I swear I'm on the verge of banning TV. And not for the "Kids shouldn't watch x amount or certain tv" reasons either.

The shit my kids picks up from television infuriates me. Absolutely infuriates me.

The other day she is telling me she's bad, which we've never said to her or anyone else before. It broke my heart.

Then she told me that I was going to yell at her and ground her if she didn't do her chores. Um, she doesn't even have chores. And I know exactly which show this came from (Anne of Green Gables). I told her I would never yell at her, even if she didn't do something I asked, because that's not how mommies treat their kids. Mommies treat their children with the same love, respect, compassion and kindness that they expect to be treated with. And yelling just doens't make that list.

And then today. Oh, for the love of God, today. H is playing with B and suddenly she looks up to where I'm folding laundry on the couch and says to me, "I'm so sorry, Momma. I'm so sorry I make mess." They were playing for goodness sakes!

I told her, "You don't have to apologize for making a mess, H P. It's part of playing and being a kid. There is nothing wrong with that." But she only reapeated, "I'm sorry I make mess, Momma."

So then I asked her where in the world she hear that and she responded with, "Um, Jake, the little boy on TV. He made a mess and his Mommy got mad."

"Well," I told her, "your mommy won't get mad about a mess. That's just silly. Messes happen."

Yeah. She apologized again.

I hate TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment