Sunday, January 20, 2013

Did you know snakes...?

I learned something new today.

We were at the zoo (gotta love zoo passes!), in the Desert area checking out the snakes. I'm not a fan of snakes, not even a little bit, but I really don't want to pass on my biases to my kids, so I've never verbalized that around them. They love all animals. They are fascinated and enthralled by all things with flippers or legs or feathers or hair or scales. They smile and squeal with delight. B shrieks "woah!" at pretty much any movement.

So there we are at the snakes, watching a viper slither to his water when B insisted we go to the lit part of the snake exhibit. I happily obliged him as I find that part a bit less creepy. I was looking at some blown up photos of snakes hatching from eggs while B shook some giant (fake) vertebrae. And there was this awesome picture of  a snake with two tails.

Except it wasn't.

Upon further observation and reading the caption, I quickly realized it was in fact a snake giving birth. I was fascinated. And enlightened. I had no idea that some species of snakes actually gave birth as opposed to laying eggs.

Who knew I could ever find sone strangely natural common ground with a creature I detest? And yet there it is.

And what did Miss H learn while at the zoo today? Dolphins play chase just like her and B, and baby dolphins nurse.

Living is learning. And learning is living. They are interchangeable, my friends. They are the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment