Friday, June 22, 2012

Big families impress me

Most days I feel like I'm going to lose my cookies with just the two kiddos. And seriously, anyone with even one child is a rock star in my book, so when I see people with 2+, I'm always amazed. Especially when they are such calm, well-mannered, well-behaved kids.

Not going to lie, I don't really look forward to running errands with two babes in tow. It seems like a task that would take me 20 minutes takes 2 hours when I have kids with. It drives me a bit insane.

But I do it. Obviously. J has been gone far more than he has been home since baby B was born. And it's not like we could go 10 months without eating! So I run all my errands with the kids, and really, it's become second nature. It's only when I get small indulgences and run to the store for tomatoes all by myself, that I remember how much easier it is on my own.

Or when I see someone with half a dozen kids and think that surely I shouldn't feel insane with just two!

While picking up some snack foods at Target today (we finally got Plum Organics here!), both babes in tow, plus J, which is always handy, we came across a lady with seven, yes, seven, children. All under the age of 10 roughly.

These children were all well-groomed, they stood beside or were nicely seated in the cart. The oldest pushed a stroller where the youngest babe sat in her bucket seat. That smiling baby alone amazed me! We had to give up the bucket seat long, long ago as baby B would just scream in it. And this sweet girl looked fairly older than baby B, but she just smiled on.

All the children smiled at us, none of them were loud. I had to do a double take at my own little baby, yelling in gibberish to me from his seat in the cart while my little tyrant of a daughter filled my cart with whatever she cared to put in there. The baby had milk spots on his onesie from where I'd just fed him and he'd been distracted and yeah...there'd been milk everywhere.

Miss H's pigtails were lopsided, her lips had a coffee mustaches (don't slay me!). I only had two babes and J was with today, and my kids were still mussed up by 10am, loud, and probably more rambunctious than this lady's brew had ever dreamed of being.

I wanted to ask her her secrets. How she got them all to be so calm and sweet and ever so behaved.

And not just her. But all big families I've come across. I mean, really, how many times have you come across a family with more than 5 kids and thought "Well, those kids are crazy little buggers?" I mean, typically kids of many are always so sweet and well-behaved. At least around here.

They amaze me. They impress me. They astound me.

They make me want to have half a dozen.

Until I realize that adding four more would not make my kids behave differently. They'd still be crazy, jumping off the walls, independent, stubborn, sassy, wonderful babes. I'd just have more of them.

And way less sanity.

But seriously, I bow to the mommas out there who do it. You're Goddesses. You really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment