Sunday, June 3, 2012

Can I help you?

It never fails. Just when things start getting a little boring around here, something happens to make it all interesting again.

This morning while the babes and I were playing out in the backyard, and Jaime was in the front doing yard work, a girl who I presume younger than I, came waltzing down our side street, completely out of it. She walked in between our parked cars and into our yard.

Odd, I thought, even if she were coming to ask for something, that she would not either use our walk way or at least say something to me before walking through our yard.

"Hi," I said, trying to balance baby B on the baby slide.

She looked at me, then toward the house and walked right by.

"Can I help you with something?" I asked as she reached for the handle to our mud room door.

Again, she said nothing, dropped something from her hand, and walked into our mud room.

My mind was completely boggled as I watched her proceed to push through our back door and into our house. I scooped up both babes football-style, while Miss H too this time to announce, "I need to go poopy!"

"You're going to have to wait," I said, running down our side street like a crazy lady (the quickest way to get to J out front).

Shaking my head like crazy, both kids still in tow, and laughing because Momma is running, I yelled, but calmly, to J, "Someone just went into our house!"

"What?" he asked, confused.

"Someone just walked right by us, ignored me, and went into our house!"

J immediately neglected what he was doing and raced to the back, while the kids and I stood in the middle of the road.

At this point, I started to panic a little. I didn't have my phone on me, I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't know if this girl was crazy and had found a knife and was dicing my husband into pieces (yes, dramatic, but my head went there). And to make it better, Miss H was pooping in her pants. Not that it was her fault, by any means.

Just then, the man who lived across the street from the house behind us came walking down the street.

"Having a good morning?" he asked.

"Um, I was. But now there is a strange girl in my house. And J just went in there."

"Oh, she came to your house?" he asked, clearly not as thrown off by this whole ordeal as me. "She came into ours a bit of go. T (his wife) is calling the cops. She didn't seem threatening, but we want to make sure she's okay."

You want to make sure she's okay? I was thinking. She just walked into my house! J is in there with her. I want to know that J okay, not this random person who just technically broke into my home!

And then came T, still on the phone with the cops.

She told me how the girl had come into their house, likely through the back door. They had assumed it was their son, but when their dog didn't stop barking they left their bedroom to see who it was. When they noticed the girl they asked her name. She was clearly confused and out of it, and said she wanted to lay down. They asked her where she lived, and she told them "Here." When the girl realized she was not in her home, she got scared and left.

They were totally content to let her stay there and sleep. They are far kinder human beings than me. I wanted her out of my house!

By this point three cop cars had showed up and they had all gone inside where J and the girl were.

My neighbor picked up whatever she dropped, when I told him about it. He said it was a handkerchief and cigarettes, but I really have no idea. I never got close enough to check.

After what seemed like forever two of the cops came out with the girl in handcuffs, telling her that they were going to take her to the hospital because she was really confused and needed some help.

T, nearly in tears, said "Oh, that poor girl! Why did they have to put her in handcuffs? That's unnecessary."

I just shook my head. Maybe she didn't seem like a threat, hell, maybe she wasn't a threat, but she was high as a kite, clearly. And if she had no problems walking into random houses, who knew what else she could do? Whether it be to someone else or to herself?

After talking a bit to the third cop who came out shortly after, followed by J, the cops left and that was that.

J said when he walked into the house she was sitting on our couch. He asked her what she was doing, and she replied, "Waiting for someone."

"Not here, you're not. You don't know anyone who comes to our house," he told her.

The girl said nothing, so J suggested she go outside. The girl said "no" and then stood up and went upstairs to our bedroom and laid down on our bed (that was bare and full of baking soda as I was cleaning the mattress). And apparently that's where she stayed until the cops made her leave.

And to think, sometimes I feel like things aren't exciting around here. I will try to refrain thinking that from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment