Wednesday, June 20, 2012

It's tough, but totally worth it

Most people don't "get" breastfeeding a toddler. It's cool, I get it. Anything outside of our own norm makes us pause.

I wasn't breastfed as a toddler. Before I had kids, I didn't have friends who had breastfed toddlers. So it's not like I had anyone advocating to me to do it. Or to even think about doing it.

And yet I am. And it's challenging. And some days it really sucks. But to be honest, what sucks most about it the majority of the time is to have no one to talk to about it who actually gets it. Okay, to talk to about it at all. Nearly everyone I know, rather they chose to bottle-feed for breast feed, just do not support extended breastfeeding. And that's hard. Because that means they don't support me. And while I certainly don't do anything because people are supporting me, it's nice to know sometimes that there is support when you need it.

People I actually know have made fun of children who extend breastfeed. Yes, adults making fun of children.  Terribly disgusting. I've heard people refer to extended breastfeeding as sexual abuse or psychologically harmful. Both of which are absolutely ridiculous.

A lot of people even think the only reason someone breastfeeds past a year is for attention. Really?

There are a LOT of reasons to breastfeed past one year, but I'm pretty sure that all extended breastfeeders wouldn't miss a beat in agreeing that "showing off" certainly is not one of them.

Breastfeeding a toddler can be challenging. I've certainly had days (if not weeks) when I've struggled to keep myself from just screaming "That's it, you're done!" I just keep reminding myself that there are lots of reasons to keep going, and they outweigh the reasons to forcibly wean Miss H.

Just to list a few ....

1.) When Miss H is sick, I cherish being able to soothe her so easily while simultaneously providing her with immune boosting antibodies.

2.) I have always been comfortable nursing in publicand continue to do so. I love that I have a secret weapon to whip out in public situations that might require a non-nursing Mom to rush her cranky toddler out of sight.

3.) I love having an excuse to snuggle with my busy girl, and put my feet up. For a few minutes anyway, it's just her and I in a bubble of love and nothing else can bother us.

4.) I really feel that nursing her at this age is teaching her to be gentle with others. It also teaches her patience "Wait util Mommy finshes this, love." It teaches her to be aware of other people's feelings.

5.) While I realize she doesn't need breast milk, knowing that she gets it eases my worries about nutrition. So if the only thing she eats all day is a can of tuna (true story!), I know she's just fine.

 7.) Most of all, I love that she loves it. More than anything else in this world, I want my children to be happy and (for me at least) breastfeeding is an easy way to accomplish that.

So some days it's tough for me, but at the end of the day it's always worth it. And since I'm not one who generally gives a flying frak as to what others think, I won't be cutting her off any time soon. (Though some days I think she may not be too far off from stopping on her own..)

No comments:

Post a Comment